top of page
USA Flag

CA Number & MCP Permit 

CA Number & MCP Permit

Store/One Time Permits/Licenses Service Fee/DOT Permits

Product Details


The California Department of Transportation Number (CA DOT) is a specific number assigned by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Motor carriers within the state lines of California must have a California DOT Number.


You can either choose between an in-state or out-of-state carrier.

In-State Carriers: Operate commercial vehicles within the state lines of California. Carriers must have a Motor Carrier Permit, a CA number, and from September 2016 a USDOT number.

Out of State Carriers: Some Out-of-state carriers must have a Motor Carrier Permit and a CA DOT number in addition to the USDOT number to enter California.



MCP Permit

The purpose of the MCP is to provide proof of a Motor Carrier’s CA# with the DMV. MCP verifies the motor carrier has met all of the requirements for both registration and insurance. This will allow a business to commercially operate motor vehicles on California Highways. The MCP presents specific information regarding the motor carrier like name, mailing address, USDOT number, CA# and effective/expiration dates of the permit.



Who needs MCP?

  • Any person or entity who is paid to transport property in their motor vehicle not taking into account the vehicle size, type or weight (For-hire carrier).

  • Any person or entity operating a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 10,001 pounds or more. Also, for business purposes to transport their own property (Private carrier).

  • Operators of any vehicle or a combination of vehicles transporting hazardous materials.

  • Operators of a combination of a motor truck and trailer, semi trailers, pole or pipe dollies, auxiliary dollies, and logging dollies, that exceeds forty feet in length when coupled together. For the purpose of an MCP, a “trailer” excludes camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.

  • Operators of any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer for which the operation requires a commercial driver license, except vehicle combinations including camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.

Make a Purchase

bottom of page