top of page

New York Highway Used Tax- HUT

New York HUT Permit and Account Setup

Store/One Time Permits/Licenses Service Fee/State Permits/ Fuel Filling

Product Details


HUT Permit and New Account Setup-

New Account and Adding 1 New Truck


New York State imposes a highway use tax (HUT) for motor carriers operating specific motor vehicles on NYS public highways (excluding toll-paid sections of the New York State Thruway). The weight of the motor vehicle and the method that you choose to report your taxes determines the tax rate that you must pay. You can get a Temporary pass or HUT Pass.

In order to receive a HUT, you must first obtain a certification of registration and decal for every vehicle in your fleet.



There are two types of registrations:

  • Any truck, tractor, or another self-propelled vehicle with a gross weight of over 18,000 pounds is required to have a HUT certification of registration. If you elect to the unloaded weight method to file your returns then certification is required for any unloaded weight of over 8,000 pounds and any tractor with an unloaded weight over 4,000 pounds. If you elect to the unloaded weight method to file your returns.

  • An automotive fuel carrier (AFC) certificate of registration is required for any truck, trailer, or semi-trailer, or other attached device transporting automotive fuel. They must adhere to their proper use

File your Tax by:

  • April 30 (for the quarter January 1 through March 31)

  • July 31 (for the quarter April 1 through June 30)

  • October 31 (for the quarter July 1 through September 30)

  • January 31 ( for the quarter October 1 to December 31)

Make a Purchase

bottom of page